How many times have you put off comparing quotes for low-cost auto insurance rates in Las Vegas, NV? Las Vegas drivers have options when trying to find affordable Subaru Baja insurance. They can either waste time calling around to compare prices or leverage the internet to make rate comparisons.
There are both good and bad ways to shop for auto insurance and you need to know the proper way to price shop coverage for a new or used Subaru and get the best price possible either online or from Las Vegas insurance agents.
It’s a great practice to quote other rates as often as possible because rates change frequently. Even if you think you had the lowest rate on Subaru Baja insurance in Las Vegas last year other companies may now be cheaper. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the only way to reduce your cost while improving coverage.
Do you qualify for discounts on Subaru Baja insurance in Las Vegas?
Car insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but you might already qualify for some discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Certain credits will be shown at the time you complete a quote, but some need to be asked about before being credited.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars with anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more on Baja insurance in Las Vegas.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens may receive lower premium rates.
- Life Insurance – Some insurance companies give a small discount if you purchase some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Require your teen driver to complete a driver education course if it’s offered in school.
- Telematics Data – Drivers that enable their insurance company to track driving manner by using a telematics device such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive could see a rate decrease if they show good driving skills.
- Military Deployment Discount – Having an actively deployed family member may lower your rates slightly.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Active or former government employment could provide a small rate reduction but check with your company.
- Payment Method – If you can afford to pay the entire bill instead of making monthly payments you can avoid the installment charge.
- Discount for Good Grades – Performing well in school can get you a discount of up to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Companies and a partial list of their discounts can be found below.
- State Farm includes discounts for anti-theft, defensive driving training, good student, good driver, safe vehicle, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and student away at school.
- GEICO offers discounts including air bags, seat belt use, federal employee, anti-lock brakes, good student, and daytime running lights.
- Liberty Mutual has discounts for good student, safety features, exclusive group savings, new graduate, preferred payment discount, multi-car, and hybrid vehicle.
- The Hartford offers premium reductions for anti-theft, defensive driver, bundle, good student, driver training, and air bag.
- MetLife has savings for defensive driver, multi-policy, good student, claim-free, good driver, accident-free
- Progressive may have discounts that include homeowner, multi-policy, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, online signing, and good student.
Check with every company which discounts they offer. Some discounts might not be offered in every state. To locate insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Nevada, follow this link.
Car insurance coverages explained
Learning about specific coverages of your car insurance policy can be of help when determining appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. Car insurance terms can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement.
Comprehensive insurance coverage covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like hail damage, damage from flooding, fire damage and hitting a deer. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
Liability insurance will cover injuries or damage you cause to people or other property that is your fault. It protects you from claims by other people. It does not cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see liability limits of 15/30/10 that means you have $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and a limit of $10,000 paid for damaged property. Some companies may use a combined limit which provides one coverage limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage protects against things like bail bonds, repair costs for stationary objects and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase higher limits if possible. Nevada state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/10 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below demonstrates why low liability limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage provides protection from other drivers when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since many Nevada drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (15/30/10 in Nevada), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family. Frequently your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Collision coverage protection
Collision insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for claims such as crashing into a building, colliding with another moving vehicle and backing into a parked car. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to choose a higher deductible on your Baja to bring the cost down.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage reimburse you for expenses for things like chiropractic care, rehabilitation expenses and X-ray expenses. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers all vehicle occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Persistence pays off
When buying insurance coverage, you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many cases, consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your focus should be to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can save on Subaru Baja insurance in Las Vegas. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. You may even discover the best price on auto insurance is with the least-expected company.
Affordable Subaru Baja insurance in Las Vegas is attainable on the web and with local Las Vegas insurance agents, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies may not have internet price quotes and many times these regional carriers only sell coverage through local independent agents.
How to find cheaper quotes for Subaru Baja insurance in Las Vegas
The easiest way to find the cheapest price for auto insurance rates is to begin comparing prices regularly from companies who provide car insurance in Las Vegas. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
- Spend some time learning about the different coverages in a policy and the measures you can control to keep rates down. Many things that result in higher prices like speeding tickets, accidents and an imperfect credit rating can be improved by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can give quotes from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the price quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you can save some money and buy the policy, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Tell your current agent or company of your intent to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to the newly selected company. Immediately upon receiving it, keep your new certificate verifying coverage in your glove compartment.
One tip to remember is to use similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote and to quote with as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this provides the most accurate price comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Other learning opportunities
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for Safe Drivers in Las Vegas? (FAQ)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)
- Booster Seat Ratings (iihs.org)
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)