A recent insurance study discovered that about 70% of customers have remained with the same insurance company for at least the last four years, and 38% of customers have never even shopped around for affordable coverage. Many drivers in the United States could save approximately $860 a year just by shopping around, but they feel it’s too difficult to shop around.
Really, the only way to find cheaper quotes for Pontiac G8 insurance is to do an annual price comparison from companies who provide auto insurance in Las Vegas.
- Try to understand the different coverages in a policy and the things you can control to keep rates low. Many factors that increase rates such as speeding tickets, careless driving and a bad credit rating can be eliminated by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Keep reading for more information to help reduce prices and find overlooked discounts.
- Get rate quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes from multiple sources.
- Compare the new quotes to your existing rates to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a lower rate and buy the policy, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
The most important part of shopping around is to make sure you enter the same liability limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get rates from every insurance company. This guarantees an accurate price comparison and a good representation of prices.
The companies shown below offer free quotes in Las Vegas, NV. In order to find the cheapest car insurance in Las Vegas, it’s a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
Three reasons to not skimp on auto insurance
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Las Vegas, insuring your vehicle is a good idea for several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability insurance if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Nevada these limits are 15/30/10 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Pontiac with a loan, it’s most likely the lender will stipulate that you have physical damage coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you default on your policy, the bank may buy a policy for your Pontiac at a much higher rate and force you to pay the higher price.
- Auto insurance preserves both your car and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense in the event you are sued. If your Pontiac gets damaged, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially with large liability claims. The average driver in America overpays as much as $850 per year so you should quote rates at every policy renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Determine discounts on Las Vegas insurance
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that can help lower your rates. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you quote, but some must be inquired about before you get the savings. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you could be getting lower rates.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save a little on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory options such as air bags may earn rate discounts as much as 30%.
- Telematics Discount – Insureds that choose to allow data collection to look at vehicle usage by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate might get better premium rates if they show good driving skills.
- Sign Online – A handful of companies give back up to $50 get Las Vegas auto insurance on the web.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few insurance companies allow discounts for switching companies before your current coverage expires. It can save you around 10%.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Participating in a safe driver course could save 5% or more and make you a better driver.
A quick disclaimer, most discounts do not apply to the whole policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business. Any amount of discount will positively reduce your overall premium however.
Popular insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts can be read below.
- State Farm has discounts for good student, defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, safe vehicle, anti-theft, and accident-free.
- GEICO may offer discounts for seat belt use, anti-theft, five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
- Allstate policyholders can earn discounts including safe driver, FullPay discount, resident student, premier discount, early signing, anti-lock brakes, and eSmart discount.
- SAFECO discounts include teen safe driver, multi-car, bundle discounts, anti-lock brakes, and safe driver.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts including youthful driver, 55 and retired, safe driver, multi-policy, and renewal discount.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online signing, continuous coverage, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- AAA has savings for education and occupation, multi-car, AAA membership discount, anti-theft, and good driver.
If you are trying to find inexpensive Las Vegas auto insurance quotes, ask each company or agent how you can save money. Savings might not be available to policyholders in your area. If you would like to view providers that have a full spectrum of discounts in Las Vegas, click this link.
Do I need an insurance agent?
Some people still prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Professional insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and help file insurance claims. A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get better rates and still buy from a local agent. And supporting local agents is especially important in Las Vegas.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, your coverage information gets sent to companies in Las Vegas that give free quotes for your coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from a particular provider, you just need to go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Types of car insurance agents in Las Vegas
When searching for a local agent, there are a couple of types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Las Vegas can be described as either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both write policy coverage, but it’s important to point out the difference in the companies they write for because it may have an impact on which type of agent you select.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent often have many company appointments so they can insure your vehicles with lots of companies and find you the best rates. If they find a lower price, they simply move the coverage in-house which requires no work on your part. If you are comparing rate quotes, it’s recommended you compare quotes from at a minimum one independent agency for maximum quote selection.
Featured below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Las Vegas who may provide price quotes.
Agents in the exclusive channel generally can only insure with one company and examples are State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Las Vegas willing to provide price quotes.
Choosing an auto insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. Any agent in Las Vegas should have no problem answering these questions:
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
How to know if you need help
When quoting and choosing a policy for your vehicles, there really isn’t a single plan that fits everyone. Every insured’s situation is different and your car insurance should unique, too.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- What happens if I owe more than my Pontiac G8 is worth?
- What is PIP insurance?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- What is glass protection for?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
The coverage is in the details
Knowing the specifics of your car insurance policy helps when choosing the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are typical coverage types offered by car insurance companies.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as fire damage, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and hitting a deer. The highest amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
This protects you and your vehicle when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your Pontiac G8.
Since many Nevada drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (15/30/10), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important. Normally these coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Medical expense insurance
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage reimburse you for expenses for things like pain medications, X-ray expenses and prosthetic devices. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover both the driver and occupants as well as any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Coverage for liability
This provides protection from damage that occurs to people or other property in an accident. It protects you from legal claims by others, and does not provide coverage for your own vehicle damage or injuries.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. As an example, you may have values of 15/30/10 that means you have a limit of $15,000 per injured person, $30,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $10,000. Occasionally you may see one limit called combined single limit (CSL) that pays claims from the same limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage protects against claims like repair bills for other people’s vehicles, legal defense fees, medical services, repair costs for stationary objects and pain and suffering. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Nevada state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/10 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below shows why buying the state minimum limits may not provide you with enough coverage.
Collision coverage protection
Collision insurance covers damage to your G8 resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for things such as hitting a parking meter, rolling your car, damaging your car on a curb, sustaining damage from a pot hole and scraping a guard rail. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your G8 in order to get cheaper collision rates.
One last thing to lower rates
Budget-conscious Pontiac G8 insurance can be purchased online in addition to many Las Vegas insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection. Some auto insurance companies do not offer online quoting and usually these smaller providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
As you prepare to switch companies, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many cases where an insured dropped physical damage coverage only to discover later that they should have had better coverage. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
To read more, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has the Cheapest Las Vegas Car Insurance Quotes for a Learners Permit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Highlander in Las Vegas? (FAQ)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Understanding Limits and Deductibles (Allstate)